Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Saving money now or later...

There are some things I do as a parent and I know I'm saving money now. Breastfeeding is one of those things. It was truely one of the most difficult things I'd ever done when my daughter was first born....but after we got the hang of it, it's one of the easiest things! I haven't had to buy any formula in her 7.5 months of life! I am so super proud of that fact! Breastfeeding is so good for baby and mommy - and the family wallet! I do pump every day at work with a pump that is on loan for free. This also helps as a new Medela is close to $300. I still think it would have been worth buying though. The pump would have been one of those items (had I had to buy one) that makes me question whether it's worth buying it now and saving money in the long run....or just paying for the formula and having the payments spread over time even though I'd end up spending more. Sometimes upfront costs are hard!!



I am at a crossroads with the cloth diapers in regards to the cost. Currently, I'm spending about $20 on diapers every week and a half - 2 weeks. Plus wipes and diaper genie refills. Depending on who babysits during the day also effects the number of diapers we go thru. The cost over time is insane!! Not to mention horrible to our environment!! I really think cloth diapering would be SO much better overall. However, I'm going to need a few hundred dollars to start them the way I want too. Pocket diapers are $10-$25 each depending on brand and where you buy them. I figure those kind will be the most husband and sitter friendly. Then I am buying cloth wipes and a diaper pail and a wet bag. I hear most cloth diapering parents get addicted to buying cloth and just can't stop! :) $$$$ I was telling my mother about the price of these new modern diapers last night and she just couldn't believe that ONE diaper cost so much. She also thinks I'm crazy for messing with them at all. ~sigh~ In my mind, about 6 months of buying disposables would buy a stash of cloth that would last til my daughter was potty trained and I can still use them for another baby. I think we need to find the money somewhere now...it will be worth it in so many ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment