Friday, March 12, 2010

I'm a Milk Machine!!!

Yes! I've been breastfeeding about 7.5 months now! My goal is a year but I'm proud of myself for making it this far. It's such a rewarding feeling to watch your baby grow and know that her primary food source is what your own body is making especially for her. :) Breastfeeding doesn't come easy in the beginning...it was WAY harder than I ever imagined it would be. However, once we got it figured out, it's the easiest thing ever! You are able to connect with your baby in a way that noone else can. Each feeding becomes a special moment.

Then I had to go back to work!! UGH!! About 9.5 weeks after my little beauty made her entrance into this big scary world, I had to return to work. This means I had to start using a breast pump at work if I were to keep up my supply. What a pain in the rear!! There's no beautiful connection with an electric pump! It's awkward and strange. Luckily, I have my own private office at work to get this job done. There are others who use the printer in my office so I had to find a way to let them know not to come in without splashing "DO NOT ENTER! PUMPING MY BOOBS!" on my office door. The solution: I put a picture of my girl on my door while pumping. I told those who use my printer what it meant so they wouldn't come in. Anyone else who happens to walk down the hallway just gets to enjoy seeing her pretty little face on my door and doesn't know the wiser! The next hurdle was finding a way to pump hands free so I could continue to work while I was taking care of business. Yes, you can buy contraptions that assist with this but I knew there had to be a better option than paying out MORE money. So thru the advice from friends and some fancy planning on my own, I made my own hands free pumping assistant! Take an old sports bra, cut small wholes at nipple level just big enough to slip the pump cones thru and there ya have it! Does it look stupid? YES! Do I care? No... :) With this handy invention, I could now work away without even thinking about what my boobs were doing! Now, instead of getting 5 oz, I was producing closer to 7 or 8 oz!! WOOHOO BOOBS!! Now I'm pumping, typing, writing reports, answering phones! Multitasking at it's best!


Buzz ahead to today... I am SO tired of pumping! I still do it once a day because my baby still needs mommy's milk, but I dread messing with it at the same time. ~sigh~ I will carry on though! My baby needs me and I WILL produce! So the next time you call me and hear a swishing machanical noise in the background, you know what I'm doing... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment