Monday, June 14, 2010

What's in a card


I know that some people buy cards for every occasion. I am NOT one of these people. I feel no reason to go pay $4.99 for a St Patrick's Day card that will probably never be opened by the receiver. To me, this is a waste of money. When the day truly deserves a card, I do put a lot into choosing the right one. This month is hubby's first real Father's Day. To me, this is a big deal! (Even if he didn't make a big deal over my first real Mother's Day...he's a man and that's an excuse.) I plan on taking our baby out and reading cards with her to find the perfect card to give her daddy. I will have her scribble her little baby mark on the inside and make a big deal giving it to hubby on his day. I feel that this process is special.


That being said, yesterday my mother in law presented me with a Father's Day card she bought for Little S to give to hubby. She told me I should have Little S scribble in it and that can be her gift for her daddy. I was completely offended! Not only was she trying to take away my planned outing with my daughter to find the perfect card, but the gesture also inferred that I wasn't capable of purchasing a good card on my own. I told her that I was capable of purchasing my own cards to which she responded by telling me that she bought my Mother's Day card from Little S too. :( I kinda figured she did as hubby works constantly and, let's face it, he's a man. He doesn't always think of these things. I just tried not to think about it at the time. I thought it was rude that she would tell me that now. I took the card but made it known that I wasn't really happy about her overstepping her bounds. She stayed at my house the rest of the evening and I really didn't talk to her anymore.


The more I think about this, the more it bothers me. I think I'm going to give the card back to her and tell her to try to get her money back before Father's Day. She is the type to buy card for EVERYTHING so, I'd hope she would understand my need to make it special. I hate that something so simple and good meaning is bothering me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment