Thursday, June 3, 2010

Kindle Me....



The dictionary defines kindle - Light or set fire, Arouse or inspire, Be aroused, Become impassioned or excited....

After getting to know my new Kindle, I LOOOOOVE it! I wanted an e-reader...and that is just what it is! I know there is much talk about the Nook (Barnes and Noble) and the iPad. They have their touch screens and fanciness about them. You can do WAY more on the iPad then the Kindle - however, if you can play games and listen to MP3s and search the web, when are you going to read a book? I believe that each have there pros and cons and it really does make a difference depending on what you are looking for. Another notable point is the Kindle screen is not back lit....it doesn't bother your eyes like reading on a computer screen does. It's more "paper like."

I picked the Kindle for a number of reasons. 1) I wanted to read - I have a smartphone for many of those other fun options. 2) The Kindle has been around longer it's in it second version and is currently going thru a 2.5 upgrade. 3)Whispernet....free internet access that you can pickup anywhere AT&T service is available!! Not just 3G! This means ordering your books from your Kindle and they download instantly! Instant gratification sells!! 4) Text to speech is available of most texts. Publishers have the options of disabling this feature on their books though. 5) Thousands of free books available! 6) I use Swagbucks where I earn Amazon gift cards. I use these cards to fund books that I want that are not free - still nothing out of my pocket!!

**Pause for a Swagbucks plug! If you'd like to earn gift cards/prizes for using a search engine, sign up at http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ktface17 ! I've earned $20 in Amazon gift cards in a month and a half for searching items I would have searched anyway! Just another way I "Kindle" me. :) **

So, is the Kindle worth the price? I think the price is high but if you want to splurge on something for yourself and you love to read, it's a great toy to have. I've been reading books I would have never purchased because they are free on the Kindle. It's small enough to fit into my purse so I carry it almost everywhere I go. Also, no one knows what you're reading!! It could be anything from the Bible to erotica and you're the only one that will know!

The Kindle holds about 1,500 books. Can you imagine how big that bookshelf would need to be? Do you have a library in your house? My personal bookshelf is overflowing...now I can keep all new books in a device that is as thin as a pencil. Pretty cool, huh? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment