Thursday, June 24, 2010

Going Greener - Mama Cloth


My first impression of mama cloth - "NO WAY!!!" Now, I am slowly building my stash. :)

I have been cloth diapering Little S. for months now and love cloth diapering! A fluffy bum is so cute!! While checking out sites on cloth diapers, I first learned about mama cloth. (For those who may not of heard of this before, it's pads for that time of the month.) I was sure that there was absolutly no way I could ever use mama cloth! I thought they would be super icky to clean and who wants to wash stinky blood anyway! Well, the more I read, the more I learned. These women say that, after using mama cloth for a while, their periods become shorter, they have less cramps and that cloth is way more comfortable! As far as being stinky, I guess disposable pads stink so bad because of blood reacting with all the chemicals in them....which means that cloth pads aren't really so stinky after all!

Then, what about stains? I HATE stains and work on keeping Little S.'s diapers as stain free as possible. Surely, it isn't possible to not have blood stain. ~sigh~ Guess what?? I was wrong here too!!! Minky fabric doesn't stain!! WOOT! Have you felt minky fabric? It's wonderful!


Sooooo...I took the plunge! I first bought a set of 6 pantyliners. All minky topped with a fleece backing. The fleece serves as a waterproof barrier to protect your clothes as well as keep the pad from shifting. Oh Oh OH!! and fleece BREATHS too!! BONUS!! After receiving the pantyliners, I ordered a couple light/regular flow pads as well (minky with fleece again). I plan on continuing to add to my stash until I feel I have enough. "Aunt Flo" has not returned for me yet so I'll continue to prepare and I highly doubt that I'll turn back to regular disposable pads unless it's an emergency.



I have purchased my mama cloth from Tree Hugger on Hyena Cart. There are many ladies out there making mama cloth that you can search for both on Hyena Cart as well as other websites. You can even make your own if you're feeling ambitious!! Even though they may first seem like a yucky idea - they are really worth a try!!


On a side note - if you're more of a tampon kinda girl, you can always look into the Diva Cup as a more natural and environmentally friendly option!


No comments:

Post a Comment